Keep your family safe when travelling - get European Health Insurance Card cover today. Apply now for a fast, guaranteed service.

family getting EHIC

Who can apply for an EHIC?

A UK-issued European Health Insurance Card, or EHIC, is available to residents of the United Kingdom. If you are eligible to receive treatment under the NHS in the UK, it’s likely that you’ll be eligible to apply for a UK-issued European Health Insurance Card.

Whilst you don’t have to be a resident of the UK to obtain an EHIC, you may need to apply for a European Health Insurance Card in another country if you are insured under their state-funded healthcare systems.

Residents in any country within the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland are able to apply for an EHIC but you’ll only be able to obtain a UK-issued European Health Insurance Card if you’re currently a resident of the UK.

Do children need an EHIC?

When you apply or renew your European Health Insurance Card, it’s vital to consider other family members who may require their own EHIC. Every member of your family will require their own card in order to access medical treatment whilst abroad.

Whilst you will each need individual cards, you can make a joint application. Once you’ve input your own details, for example, you can request additional cards and enter your partner’s or children’s details accordingly.

Are you a UK resident working in Europe?

If you live in Switzerland or a country within the EEA but you’re a resident of the United Kingdom, you should be able to apply for a UK-issued European Health Insurance Card. In order to qualify, you’ll need to be receiving a UK state pension or exportable benefit, have proof that you’ve been posted to your current job role by your UK employer or are a family member of someone posted to a job within the EEA or Switzerland and are not covered by their state-funded health system.

You can also apply for a UK-issued EHIC if you’re a student and are planning to study in an EEA country or Switzerland. Providing you have the relevant documentation to prove your status, it’s likely you’ll be able to obtain a UK-issued EHIC.

Remember – if your circumstances change, your eligibility may change too. If you begin working abroad or your residency status changes, for example, your EHIC may become invalid.

Why not apply for your EHIC today? We make it easy for you to make an application and you’ll benefit from knowing that you’ll be able to access the appropriate medical care, should you need it.

Get started today, with our quick and simple online application...